Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers Day 2009


Mothers Day is truly a day for women....most of us were raised by at least one if not more women. While I had and was greatly influenced by the men in my life (including my four brothers) I had a great mom and incredibly interesting aunts and grandmothers and special women in my life. Still do..lucky for me.
Nonetheless, Mothers Day has not been a great day for me since my mom passed away 23 years ago. Hard to believe I have lived almost half of my life without her.
This year I consciously decided to do something that would fill me with the spirit of mother's day and honor my mother -- and all of those influential women -- in my life. So I walked (and jogged a little) of the three mile Breast Cancer Network of Strength walk in downtown Chicago with lots of other women (and a good amount of men and kids!). The weather was just right...slightly cool and overcast until just before the walk. I walked with Donna and Sharla and Donna's god child. It was not just a good time to catch up with friends it was also overwhelmingly awesome and soul filling. Now it's time for a hot bath, a nap and a foot bath. Next year...I want to run :-)

Happy Mothers Day to all of those awesome women who have helped make me who I am..
(image from Rhonna Farrar and the House of 3)

No comments: